Service You Can Count On
The Uptown San Diego Examiner provides the professional, reliable, timely service you need and expect when placing legal notices. And we save you money too! We offer the fastest and most convenient legal notice filing service at the lowest price.
Legal Notices We Publish
- Fictitious Business Names (DBA)
- Orders to Show Cause (Name Changes)
- Notices of Default
- Probate Notices
- Notices of Sale of Real Property
- Dissolutions of Partnership
- Bulk Sales
- Notices of Annual Report
Fictitious Name Filing in San Diego
When a DBA ("Doing Business As") is Required
It's the Law: Any business or corporation using a name other than its own personal first and last name, or a corporate / LLC legal name is required to obtain a DBA business name certificate. For example, if your name is Joe Schmo and you do business as "Joe Schmo," you don't need to get a DBA. However, if you do business as "Superstar Store ," then you need a DBA for that assumed name. You will also need this "DBA" to open a bank account. It shows the bank that you have indeed filed the appropriate papers. It is illegal to use a fictitious business name without registering it first.
How to File Your DBA in San Diego County
Step 1: Obtain a filing form in our office or online at the San Diego County Assessor/Recorder/County Clerk’s website
Step 2: Search San Diego County Fictitious Business Names online to see if the FBN that you want is still available
Step 3: Fill out the filing form with your information. Once the form has been filled out, print it out then sign the form.
Step 4: Bring the original form to the appropriate county office along with your payment for filing.
Step 5: You are required to publish your DBA in a newspaper of general circulation (which we are) within 30 days.
How to publish with us
You can come by our office with the original signed form, or you can mail it to us or fax it to us (please include your contact informa tion/phone number if mailing or faxing)
Phone: (619) 955- 8960
Fax: (619) 955- 8962
Mailing and Building Address: Uptown Examiner 3930 Oregon Street Ste. 110, San Diego CA 92104
We can only publish Fictitious Business Name Statements that have been filed, stamped and certified by the County Recorder within the last 30 days. We cannot publish statements we receive 30 days after the initial filing.
Our low fee
We charge just $15 for up to four names on one form (additional names on one form are $2 each).
We accept cash, credit (Visa, MasterCard , Discover or American Express), check or money order. Please make checks payable to Uptown Examiner.
- If you come to our office you can pay with cash, credit, check or money order.
- If mailing, please send a check or money order, or indicate you will be paying by credit once we receive your papers.
- If faxing, please call us after you fax with your credit card information.
Our Full Service / No Hassle option
We also offer our convenient full service filing for Fictitious Business Names. Our full service option includes:
- filing the initial statement with the County Recorder for you (saving you a trip to the county office)
- fulfilling the required publication of the statement
- filing proof of publication with the County Recorder.
The flat fee for this service is a very reasonable $70 (plus $5 each for any additional DBA names if filing more than one).
Legal Notice Filing in San Diego
We are adjudicated as a newspaper of general circulation to publish all legal notices for both the City and County of San Diego. We publish twice a week (every Wednesday and Friday), which is a valuable benefit since other weekly newspapers’ strict weekly deadlines may force you to publish your notices in one of the higher-priced dailies.
LEGAL ADVERTISING RATES
Notices Published Four Times
- Fictitious Business Name - $15 (Maximum of 4 names; add $2 for each additional name)
- Abandonment of Fictitious Business Name - $15
- Withdrawal from Partnership - $15
- Summons - $80
- Order to Show Cause (Name Change) - $65
Notices Published Three Times
- Notice of Petition to Administer Estate (Probate Notice) - $85
(First publication 15 days minimum before hearing)
- Notice to Creditors - $85
- Sale of Real Property - Open Rate
- Trustee’s Sales - Open Rate
You’ll find our open rate of $7.50 per column inch for Trustee Sales and Notices of Default is well below what you likely would have to pay elsewhere. That means a six-inch legal notice published three times will run only $135 ($7.50 per inch x 6 inches x 3 insertions = $135.00).
Notices Published Two Times
- Notice of Sales of Personal Property - Open Rate
Notices Published One Time
- Dissolution of Partnership $25
(Maximum of 2 names; add $2 for each additional name)
- Notice of Bulk Transfer $60
- Notice of Availability of Annual Report $20
The rates listed here apply to legal advertising only. Legal advertising rates are non-commissionable. Payment with copy is required unless credit has been established. Rates subject to change without notice. Legal notices are not accepted by telephone. Deadlines: 11 a.m. Monday for Wednesday edition; 11 a.m. Wednesday for Friday edition (deadlines are two days earlier on weeks containing legal holidays)
The twice-a-week legally adjudicated Uptown San Diego Examiner is available by subscription for $35 annually inside San Diego County. Please call (619) 955-8960. Thank you for your business.